A little backstory on this gigantic clusterfuck.
The guys had to enter China before their Kazakhstan visas expired on Nov 6th, so they did. The only problem was that they had failed to secure the approximately 4000 stamped documents needed to get a foreign car across the border and into the glorious people's republic.
So they grabbed what they could carry and crossed on foot, leaving the car behind. They later learned that will take approximately two months to get the necessary papers for the car (and it won't be free), so from what I could gather from my two minute conversation with Erlend today, they will roam around China "for about 35 days" and then fly back and get the car in Kazakhstan and continue towards Yakutsk.
There will also be radio silence since "China hates the internet" and "the cell phones don't work" (when he called me he was close enough to the Kazakh border to use their net). So unless there's an emergency ("which there won't be") and they break out the satphone, chances are we won't hear from the boys for a good month or so.
Spirits seemed high, as they always are, and I'm sure they'll work this out, as they always do.
I'll convey any news I get.
/torleiv
Hello again my three most admired boys!
SvarSlettIm sorry that I havent been able to give you my feedback the last couple weeks, I have been very caught up with this swineflu. But dont talk loud about it, the place I am in right now is not talking openly about this, shall we call it "issue", and unfortunately I am not sure what they would do to me if they found out what I am doing under the table.
But enough about me, like I said I havent been given you much feedback lately but I of course have followed your every step. I am so proud of being able to participate in this amazing race so to speak!
Although you now had to leave your car behind and walk insted, I am sure you will find your car safe and secure next month. Be careful of blisters, if you get infection you could actually die. Especially Marius should be concerned, I feel that his immune system is rather bad, poor boy.
Last, I am sorry to say this but i feel I would just have to get it off my chest; I dont feel like you read our comments very often, I must say, that is sad. I am sorry, I would never say anything bad about you, but I would just be so happy, that would be the best christmas gift for me if you just replied!
Well my friends, take care of each other, go and get a fortune cookie I have a feeling it is gonna help you.
Your biggest fan truly - From Russia With Love
They do read the comments, but for some reason they often can't read them off of the site directly, so I (Erlend's brother and most glorious editor of this blog) have to copy the comments as plain text into an e-mail and send it to them that way.
SvarSlettI can assure you that they do read the comments, but due to their sporadic access to the internet it might take a while before they reply.
I love it! Have fun in Chiiinah.
SvarSlettbtw hvis dere vil så kan jeg gi skal vi danse updates til torleiv som kan sende de videre til dere på mail siden det ikke er mobil muligheter for tida.
- Bart
Hello to our biggest fan. Finally we have access to write back and thank everybody who comments here. The swineflu is a terrible thing. Also in China people worried about that. Our guide in China (More on that later) sneezed in the taxi, and then reassured us that is core-temperature was normal, and we didn't had to worry...
SvarSlettI hope we'll have the chance to meet you in Russia soon.
Whitesnow09
Fredrik, vi trenger skal vi danse oppdateringer!
SvarSlett